THE ultimate social gathering for outdoor enthusiasts – with a world-class programme of films and talks from international adventurers.
Kendal Mountain Festival is a four-day celebration of outdoor culture: films, speakers, literature and art. The most diverse festival of its type in the world, it brings together filmmakers, adventurers and lecturers in the uniting aim of inspiring more people to explore, enjoy and represent mountains, wilderness and their cultures.
Whether you’re into clawing your way up mountains, sliding down them, jumping off the top – or just watching others do it – this gathering of adventure sports fans is a must. Kendal Mountain Festival has been going since the 1980s and these days over 15,000 people head for the Lake District town each November to catch up on all things adrenaline. The event is truly international with filmmakers, adventurers and lecturers gathering from around the world. Rub shoulders with your heroes – films are at the core of the event, with numerous world, European and UK premieres, plus a Family Adventure programme to get the kids inspired. And it’s also renowned as THE main social event for outdoor enthusiasts in the UK.
The Festival line-up is huge for 2018 and you can browse the full line-up online. Here are a few of our Festival highlights:
- An incredible selection of adrenaline filled films including the world premiere of ‘Spectre – To the End of the Earth’ following local climber Leo Holding’s 65-day journey to climb the remotest mountain on the planet.
- The Festival’s legendary Bike Night is back with a new sponsor ‘Trek’ and fantastic speakers including the world’s most famous bike family – Rachel, Dan and Gee Atherton.
- Black Diamond Alpine Session – back fo, the Black Diamond Alpine session aims to entertain and inspire with a packed session of guest speakers and film screenings.
- The Harvey Maps Fell Running Session featuring top speakers and films showcasing the world of fell-running – a Kendal local special!
- Petzl Underground Session – presenting Christine Grosart and Jason Mallison.
- Ortovox Snow Night moves to a bigger venue this year with a sensational line-up, featuring 2018 Winter Olympic Games bronze medallist – Billy Morgan, Canadian big mountain freeskiing legend – Eric “Hoji” Hjorleifson, mountain guide and snowboarder – Jonathan “Douds” Charlet.
- A morning session following exhilirating tales of wild water at the Alpkit Outdoor Swimming Session
- The Berghaus Women in Adventure evening of speakers, hosted by UK ambassador for Girl Guiding Anna McNuff with speakers such as Anna Blackwell, Sian Lewis, Berghaus athlete Molly Thompson-Smith and members of the Lake District-based Wonderful Wild Women community
- Don’t forget to check out the Kendal Mountain Literature Festival which includes the launch of Berghaus climber Mick Fowler’s new book, No Easy Way
The 2017 was a huge success and images from the event can be seen here.