The comic art spectacular is returning to our town!
12 – 14th October 2018
A world of comic art will be arriving in Kendal for the Lakes International Comic Art Festival, 12–14th October, 2018. This year the festival is even bigger and better than ever, with over 70 of the best comic artists, writers and creators joining us for a packed comic art weekend spectacular.
Whether you’re a comic art addict, new to the world of comics or just love exceptional art and storytelling – the weekend has something for everyone, with kick-ass super heroes, future worlds, fantastical creatures, zombies, crime fighters, politics, satire, documentary, comedy, manga and much more. The world of comic art is a diverse and spectacular place, bursting with creations that transport us to other dimensions.
The family-friendly festival takes over our town for a weekend of wonderful events, activities and workshops for all ages. So, whether you’re a comic art addict, new to the world of comics or just love exceptional art and storytelling – head to Kendal this October.
The legendary Comics Clock Tower, open on the Saturday and Sunday, is full of independent creators, publishers and retailers, representing a wide range of comics from around the world. And new for 2018, the festival is excited to introduce a new zone, the CCT Xtra, with even more creators including the Scottish Comics Bothy. With an Out of Hours line-up, the festival continues into the evenings with fun-filled antics for pass holders.
The 2018 festival includes…
- Live drawing from some of the biggest international comic artists
- Talks, presentations and masterclasses – come and learn from the best
- A comic marketplace – newly extended for 2018 with the big names and independent publishers
- Comic signings with artists, writers and creators
- A family-zone packed with activities for young, budding artists and comic art fans
- Comic art exhibitions in our gallery spaces
- International comic book launches – be the first to get your hands on the latest releases
- Comic-themed films – the festival has three state-of-the-art cinema screens
- Comic art trail throughout town
- New for 2018, the Friday Sessions with talks and debates featuring leading comic creators
- Evening entertainment, music, comedy and cabaret
- Fantastic selection of restaurants, cafés and pubs
- Joe Kelly, American comic book writer, penciler and editor
- Cartoonists Graham Dury, Simon Thorp, the creators of Viz
- Mikiko Claire Ponczeck, German-Japanese comic book artist
- Orijit Sen is an Indian graphic artist and designer
- Robbie Morrison, best known for his work on 2000 AD
- Emma Vieceli critically acclaimed artist, work included Doctor Who and Vampire Academy
- Charlie Adlard, the Walking Dead Artist and Comics Laureate
- Satoshi Kitamura, Japanese children’s picture book author and illustrator
- Ian James Rankin, Scottish crime writer, best known for his Inspector Rebus novels
- Steven Appleby is the creator of comic strips for many newspapers, including The Guardian, The Observer and The Times
- Kripa Joshi, the creator of Miss Moti, a character who has been featured in BBC Women’s Hour, BBC Asian Network, the Guardian and other international publications
- Steve McGarry, the most syndicated British cartoonist, based in the USA, and President of the National Cartoonists Society
- Frank Quitely, Glaswegian comic work includes New X Men, We3, All Star Superman
- David Silverman, extraordinary cartoonist, animator with credits include The Simpsons
Highlights in numbers…
- Over 70 comic artists, writers and creators joining us for one spectacular comic art weekend
- One epic debate on Friday evening: Marvel v DC. Which is best?
- Seven live draws over the weekend including the The (Legendary) Big Zombie Comic Draw
- Over 35 weekend comic events, all free to pass holders
- Five unmissable comic exhibitions over the festival weekend
- Five comic films over the weekend including the winner of the Greatest Comic Book Movie Ever debate on Sunday
- One launch of Traces of the Great War, an ambitious co-commissioned comic anthology
All weekend and day pass holders receive an exclusive set of comic art postcards.
Book your tickets at www.comicartfestival.com
The festival is held at venues throughout the Brewery Arts Centre and across our town. Please check online for location details and guidance regarding the accessibility of our venues.