Located in Kendal’s beautiful Serpentine Woods, close to the centre of town, is a fun alphabet trail.
The trail weaves through the woodland in a circular 1.2 mile walk and along the way you will find sculptures to match each letter of the alphabet, with the following clues to help:
- A will grow one day into a great tree
- B has the most beautiful wings you will see
- C has a name that means one hundred feet
- D bounds through the trees on hooves fast and neat. (take left fork)
- E soars up high on her powerful wings
- F can do wonderful magical things. (keep to main path and turn right at junction)
- G is like a door. You may wish to pass through
- H is a bird and a fisherman too
- I clings to a rock- a good place to grow
- J can be heard in the Christmastime snow
- K is a toy that flies higher and higher
- L must fly home. Her house is on fire! (take path up hill)
- M is a bird that’s half black and half white
- N is the home from which small birds take flight (continue left up hill)
- O is a bird much wiser than most
- P is a plump bird some like to have roast
- Q is a mark after words such as When, Where and Why
- R is a small pest with bright beady eyes
- S frightened Miss Muffet – might frighten you too
- T a dark place that the train passes through
- U will protect you from any sharp shower (take right path at cross roads)
- V is well known as a shy shrinking flower
- W in the breeze make a beautiful sound
- X sweet music abounds
- Y goes up and down giving hours of fun
- Z the end… now your alphabet is done
Print of the clues and let the kids tick each item off on the way around.
The Alphabet Trail is easy to reach, starting from half way along Queens Road and following the woodland path up through Serpentine Woods. The woodland canopy offers some shelter on wet weather days making this a great family activity for every season.
Taste for adventure? Discover more outdoor activities in Kendal and the surrounding area.
Don’t forget to tag your photos with @visit_kendal on Instagram or use #Kendal on Twitter.